FFS participants learn about problems caused by pesticides.
Many farmers know that pesticides are efficient in killing pests but they are often not aware of the many problems that are caused by pesticides.
A decision to use pesticides should only be made after carefully considering all these effects.
Problems caused by frequent pesticide use:
- Natural enemies are killed
- Pests become resistant
- Minor pests can become more serious than key pests
- Toxic pesticide residues on the crop
- Unnecessary use increases costs
- High risk for the health of farmers and their families
- Pollution of the environment